Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie are two things that just go together. They always have and always will. Creating a gluten free dairy free pumpkin pie took me a little time, but the challenge was truly in the crust. This easy gluten free pumpkin pie has become a tradition for our family every November.
This post contains affiliate links. Living Freely Gluten Free makes a small percentage of ant purchases made through these links. This income helps to cover the cost of running this website and bringing you delicious recipes. Thank you for your support.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie
After I finally figured the crust out I could concentrate on the filling. The first pie on the agenda was pumpkin.
Thanksgiving was right around the corner and of course when I asked my husband and son what pie they would want for thanksgiving this year- pecan or pumpkin, pumpkin was the winner. Sorry pecan pie lovers, that one will have to wait for next year. Update- I have a fabulous Pecan Recipe HERE for you to make and enjoy too!
And obviously you can’t have pumpkin pie without whipped cream. I haven’t found a dairy free whipped cream in any of my stores, so my homemade coconut whipped cream recipe will be the perfect topping for it! Update- There are now many dairy free whipped creams available to purchase, So Delicious has a coconut whip and I have found a coconut whip at Trader Joes and even Reddi Whip has a coconut and almond whipped cream now!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
What Ingredients will you need to make this delicious and easy gluten free pumpkin pie?
- gluten free pie crust, click here for my recipe
- Canned Pumpkin, or pumpkin puree
- coconut milk (full fat)
- brown sugar
- pumpkin pie spice blend
How to make this gluten free dairy free pumpkin pie…
- Have your crust ready to go. If you do not want to make the crust from scratch you can buy premade gluten free pie crusts at your local specialty store.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- In a bowl add all of the ingredients (except the pie crust) and blend with a hand mixer, or stand mixer until it is well incorporated, creamy and smooth.
- Pour the pie filling into your crust and bake for 15 minutes. (if you are using store bought crust there will be leftover filling. The aluminum pie dishes tend to hold less than a glass pie dish, you can make some mini pies, or another pie with the remaining filling)
- After 15 minutes reduce the oven temp to 350 and cook for an additional hour, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. You can cover the edges of the pie crust so that they don’t burn or get too toasty with some aluminum foil.
Is all canned pumpkin gluten-free?
Canned pumpkin should be gluten-free and all pumpkin I have seen in the stores is. I generally buy an organic pumpkin puree, or Libby’s pumpkin puree and those are both safe having just pumpkin as the ingredients. Remember to always check your ingredient labels before buying!
What kind of coconut milk should I be using?
I highly recommend using a full fat can of coconut milk or coconut cream in this recipe. The So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk is also a great option. I have used it and it works perfect. I have only attempted this recipe with full fat coconut milk.
The simplicity of pumpkin pie is what keeps me coming back to this recipe, it really only takes a few minutes to whip it together. I have made it in my stand mixer and I have used a hand mixer as well, both with great results.
Easy Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
There have been no issues with the crust over cooking on the top (this had been an issue with me in the past) and I think that is because I am not pre-cooking the crust at all. I pour the pumpkin pie batter in the raw crust shell and then allow it to all cook together. If your crust ever starts to darken too fast you can wrap some foil around it (just the crust edge). I have also seen a new kitchen gadget called a Pie Crust Shield that does the same thing.
Pie is definitely something we enjoy and this delicious simple pumpkin pie is perfect for all of your celebrations. What will you be doing for Thanksgiving and what is your favorite family dish?
Gluten Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie- Gluten and Dairy Free
This delicious Pumpkin Pie tastes so good no one will know its is gluten and dairy free.
- 2 Eggs
- 15 oz. Pumpkin Puree
- 1 1/2 Cup Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl add all of the ingredients and beat with a stand mixer or hand mixer until it is creamy and smooth.
Pour into pie shell and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 and cook for an additional hour, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. This can vary with ovens, so once a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean it's done.
Allow to cool for 2 hours before refrigerating. Serve with coconut whipped cream. Store in the fridge. Enjoy!
We love star reviews. Make sure to leave a review below!
Make sure to snap a photo of your culinary creation and #livingfreelyglutenfree
Need more gluten free pie recipes? I’ve got you covered…
Want more gluten free pumpkin recipes? These are easy gluten free pumpkin recipes everyone will love!
- Paleo Pumpkin Butter
- Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze (GF/DF)
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake Gluten Free (Dairy Free)
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookies (Dairy Free)
- Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Vegan Pumpkin Caramel Sauce
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze
- Paleo Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Gluten and Dairy Free Pumpkin Spice Baked Oatmeal