This delicious Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu recipe has been sponsored by Mori-Nu Silken Tofu. I believe in sharing all of the gluten free goodness with you and we love this recipe. Thank you Mori-Nu!
Sweet and sour is a flavor that I have always loved. It is so incredibly versatile. You can use it with most meat proteins, but its perfect for tofu as well. TheMori-Nu Silken Tofu is my favorite for this recipe. The tofu has excellent texture and I love how it takes on the flavor of the sauce and other ingredients. Pineapple sweet and sour is the perfect balance, plus I love the texture and juiciness that the pineapple provides. This Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu recipe is the perfect weeknight meal.
Right now we are gearing up for back-to-school, so I am looking for delicious and healthy recipes that are not going to take a lot of time. There are a few steps to this recipe, but they are easy. While something is cooking you are prepping the next thing and then at the end you throw it all together. This is a really fast and simple dinner that takes less than 30 minutes to make. During the week that is a must for us.
I am also trying to keep things light and healthy these days, so when I envisioned this recipe I knew I wanted to serve it on top of cauliflower rice. It paired perfectly to create in insanely flavorful meal that was filling, yet not too filling and full of healthy fabulousness. With this hot weather I don’t want heavy dinners and this recipe provides the perfect amount of fullness without the heavy feeling of an overly rich meal.
Pineapple Sweet and Sour Tofu
Personally, I love how bell pepper pairs with the pineapple. It creates a light and sweet flavor that I just can’t get enough of. You are going to love the pineapple sweet and sour flavor.
For this recipe I knew I was going to fry the tofu to give it a nice crust on the outside. I love how golden the Mori-Nu tofu turned, so yummy! Making the cauliflower rice couldn’t be easier, I just fried frozen cauliflower rice (I recommend frozen for this recipe) along with some pineapple juice and it was amazing! Sometimes cauliflower rice can really lack flavor, so it is important to give it some flavor. The pineapple juice was perfect.
Recipes like this are my favorite for leftovers too. They reheat well and I love having leftovers in the fridge for easy lunches.
How do I make this Vegan Pineapple Sweet and Sour Tofu?
- Start with adding the oil to the pan and letting it heat on medium heat for a moment. Slice the tofu into bite size pieces. Add the tofu to the pan and allow it to fry. It takes 20 minutes to cook and you will flip it halfway through. So, 10 minutes on each side.
- While the tofu is cooking make the cauliflower rice. I used frozen cauliflower rice for this and that is what I recommend. This cook time is based on frozen cauliflower rice. To make the cauli rice add the oil and pineapple juice to a skillet or wok. Add the cauliflower rice and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 12 minutes total, stirring every 2 minutes. Once the rice is done remove it from the skillet and start making the sweet and sour mixture.
- In the same skillet you made the cauliflower rice add the oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Sauté for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Add the pineapple and cook for another 4 minutes. Stir the sauce together quickly by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisking together. After the pineapple has cooked, add the sauce and tofu. Stir to combine and serve the sweet and sour mixture on top of cauliflower rice.
What is your favorite way to eat tofu?
Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu
Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu
This simple healthy meal is the perfect weeknight dinner
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 box Mori-Nu Firm Silken Tofu Firm
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice I took this from the can of pineapple
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
Stir Fry Mixture
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp diced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks
Start by frying the tofu. Remove the tofu from the box and pat it dry with a paper towel. Slice it into bite size pieces. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the oil. Add the tofu and fry for 10 minutes, flip and then fry for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
While the tofu is cooking make the sauce. To do this add the coconut sugar, ketchup, tamari, white vinegar, and granulated garlic to a bowl and whisk. Set aside.
Make the cauliflower rice by adding the oil and pineapple juice to a large skillet or wok. Add the frozen cauliflower rice and sauté for 12 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Once it is done remove it from the pan and set aside.
Now make the stir fry portion by adding the oil to the skillet or wok and heat on medium heat. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and onion. Sauté for 6 minutes stirring every 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium/low and add the pineapple. Allow the pineapple to cook for 4 minutes, then add the tofu and sweet and sour sauce. Stir to combine and heat for 3-4 more minutes.
Serve over the cauliflower rice.
Need more easy weeknight dinners like this Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu? I’ve got you covered…
- Kale Jicama Salad
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Cauli Rice (Whole 30, Paleo)
- Vegetable Soup (Gluten Free and Vegan)