Gluten Free Lemon Loaf- Starbucks Copycat
I had been craving a lemon loaf for years and I knew it was a recipe that I wanted to tackle this summer. Especially while working on Living Freely Gluten Free, I knew this recipe has to be in it! Gluten Free Lemon Loaf is the perfect slice of sunshine. You will also appreciate how this is a healthy gluten free lemon loaf in comparison to a traditional one. This is the perfect gluten free lemon loaf starbucks copycat, but it also resembles a gluten free lemon pound cake.
This Gluten Free Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf contains affiliate links. Living Freely makes a small percentage of any purchases made through these links. This income helps to pay the costs of running this page and creating delicious recipes. Thank you for your support.
Gluten Free Lemon Loaf- Starbucks Copycat Dairy Free too!
I love lemon. The smell and taste are one of my favorites. I had not baked with lemon until going gluten free, but I do enjoy lemon cake or a lemon loaf. In fact,
I was not too adventurous in the kitchen until I went gluten free. There was always pre-made treats and food at the grocery store so I would just go to the bakery to pick up whatever sounded good.
Without having that option now, I must experiment myself. I knew that I need this Gluten Free Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf in my life!
Healthy gluten free lemon loaf
I had been craving the lemon loaf since I made it last week and was very ready for round two. I always have to make a recipe 2-3 times minimum to make sure it works out as it should before sharing with everyone.
The second time around I attempted a thicker frosting so it was more comparable to the Starbucks version.
What Ingredients do I need to make this Gluten free starbucks lemon loaf recipe?
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, I only use my personal blend or Better Batter for this! Flour is important. If purchase from Better Batter use the code, livingfreelygf for 30% off your purchase!
- Salt, Baking Powder, Xanthan Gum
- Tapioca Starch
- Dairy Free Vanilla Yogurt
- Coconut Oil (melted)
- Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, and Lemon Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How do I make this gluten free Lemon Pound Cake?
- Start by preheating your oven
- In a bowl whisk the dry ingredients together (not the powdered sugar, that’s for the glaze)
- In a stand mixer add the eggs, sugar and yogurt. If you are not dairy free then a regular vanilla yogurt will work just fine. Mix on medium low for 2 minutes
- Drizzle in the coconut oil with the mixer on until it is blended through
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract. Allow to mix on medium/low for another minute
- Turn the speed on low and slowly add the dry flour mixture
- Mix on medium speed for about 3 minutes, scrape the sides and mix for an additional minute
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean
- Allow it to cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze add the powdered sugar, lemon juice in a bowl and whisk. Add 1 tbsp at a time, until you get the consistency you desire.
Your all purpose flour matters, it will dictate the texture of your baked goods, so make sure you use one you trust, or the 2 I recommended above.
If your all purpose flour contains xanthan gum, do not add more!
You can decide if your icing is a drizzle, or a thick icing. Personally, I prefer a thick icing, but both are great!
For more of a drizzle you can add more lemon juice, or drizzle it on while the loaf is still a little more.
For a thick icing, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice at a time and allow the mixture to sit for about 25 minutes. It will thicken up this way and the icing will stay in place better when you ice the loaf.
Ice your loaf over parchment paper as this can get messy!
Frequently Asked Question:
Why is there additional tapioca starch when it is already in the all purpose flour blend?
When I was recipe testing I found this helped with the texture of the loaf
Gluten free lemon pound cake
Gluten Free Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf
Gluten Free Lemon Loaf Starbucks Copycat
This gluten free and dairy free Lemon Loaf is a Starbucks copycat, but healthier and tastes WAY better! It will be a hit and no one will know its gluten and dairy free. Tested by all of my friends and family!
- 1 Cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend
- Dash of Salt
- ½ Cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 5.3 oz. of Dairy Free Yogurt I used Silk vanilla almond yogurt
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil Melted
- 3 TBSP. Lemon Zest
- 1 TSBP. Lemon Juice
- 3 tsp. Lemon Extract
- 2 TBSP. Lemon Juice
- 1 1/3 Cups Powdered Sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl whisk the dry ingredients together.
In a stand mixer on medium speed add the eggs, sugar, and yogurt. Beat for 2 minutes.
Add the coconut oil, beat 1 minute.
Add lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract. Beat 1 minute.
Turn the speed to slow and add the flour mixture, beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
Scrape the sides and beat for 1 more minute
Pour into greased loaf pan (I use coconut oil).
Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool completely before adding glaze to the top.
In a bowl whisk the sugar and lemon juice together until smooth
If you like this gluten free starbucks lemon loaf recipe you can also find it in my cookbook along with over 100 other gluten and dairy free recipe that are simple to make with easy to find ingredients.
Want more delicious recipes like this gluten free starbucks lemon loaf recipe? I’ve got you covered…
This post was originally published April 13, 2017 and in Living Freely Gluten Free the cookbook. It has most recently been updated on July 8, 2021
I accidentally it the 1 star on this recipe was trying to scroll and my phone was slow moving sorry
Hi Anita, no problem. I can fix it. Thanks!
Should you use the xantham gum if the flour blend already has xantham gum in it? Thank you!
No, if your all purpose flour contains it do not add more. 🙂
I wanted to make this recipe but also with leftover cranberry sauce I made. Do you think this will work good? Should I decrease the liquid?
You will definitely need to decrease the liquid. I tried to make this with strawberry puree once and the texture was off a bit.
Can I substitute eggs and if so what would be the best method I have egg replacement or applesauce?
If you want to replace the eggs I would recommend Bobs Red Mill egg replacer.
Do I put in the tapioca starch if my flour blend already has it in it?
Yes, this extra starch helps give the loaf a good texture
What size was your loaf pan you used?
I use a standard 1.5 qt pyrex or le creuset loaf pan