Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing- Gluten Free and Dairy Free
These Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing are brought to you by Go Veggie Foods. They have sponsored this post. All opinions are my own and the recipe was created by Living Freely Gluten Free. Sponsored posts help to cover the cost of running this site, so I may continue to bring you simple, practical, and delicious recipes. I only work with companies that I love and use in my home. Thank you Go Veggie!
Cinnamon rolls are one of those recipes that you crave once going gluten free. When I went dairy free, I knew I needed to create a dairy free cream cheese icing for the cinnamon rolls that I was craving. With the holidays here, I knew it was time to make this recipe happen.
These are the best gluten free and dairy free cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing that I’ve ever had!
Our favorite go-to for a vegan cream cheese is and always will be Go Veggie Foods. The cream cheese is delicious and they are easy to find at my local grocery store.
These cinnamon rolls are sweet, fluffy, and filled with the perfect amount of cinnamonniny deliciousness. Each bite was so incredible that I couldn’t believe they were gluten free and dairy free. The closest thought of taste comparison are the cinnamon buns you would get at a mall.
My 6 year old is very particular about his baked goods. He will usually only eat chocolate, until now. He went crazy for these cinnamon rolls and so did my husband. In fact, when I asked what breakfast they wanted for Christmas morning, it was a unanimous vote- cinnamon rolls it is.
Who doesn’t love a cinnamon roll with cream cheese icing? These are so yummy you won’t believe they are gluten free and dairy free.
While these beautiful babes were baking away in the oven, the smell of cinnamon took over my house. I couldn’t wait to get them out and sink my teeth into them. I could see the beautiful texture through the oven window.
If you have been searching for a real cinnamon roll like I have, one that was not hard and dense, well these are the ones. The key to getting it to this texture involve the following important steps…..
- Egg white- You must beat this with a paddle attachment for 3 minutes on medium speed. You want some bubbles, but not too much.
- Yeast- This is really important because this is what makes them rise. You want fresh yeast. One packet is what you will use. You want the milk to be at a temperature of around 100-110ºF. Let your yeast activate before using it. A nice froth on top will tell you its ready.
- Rise time- Once your dough is done, it needs to rise for a half hour. Cover the bowl and place it in a warm part of the kitchen for a half hour. You might not notice a big difference when looking at it after the half hour, but this is an important step.
- Rolling it out- Use plastic wrap that is lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar. Parchment paper just doesn’t do the job. Plastic wrap is where its at.
- Use a thin string or thread to cut the roll. I shimmy it underneath and then pull upward with the thread to create the perfect cut. When you use a knife it gets complicated.
- Your Gluten Free All Purpose Flour matters! Depending on what the dough is made of will determine the texture and density. My Personal GF All Purpose Flour Blend is the only flour blend I use.
Cinnamon rolls are not an easy mix and bake recipe. They take a little love and work, so they are a special treat to be enjoyed on special occasions. You will love this recipe! Enjoy!
- Prep time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Serves: 6
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2 Eggs, separated
- 2 1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
- 1 TBSP. Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Coconut Milk, Warm (100-110ºF)
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 3 Cups GF All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1 TBSP. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Powdered Sugar, for dusting the plastic wrap before rolling out.
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1 TBSP. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1/4 Cup Go Veggie Vegan Plain Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 TBSP. Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
Start with activating the yeast. To do this you will need to warm the milk to 100-110ºF. Add the 1 TBSP. of sugar and the 2 1/4 tsp. of yeast. Stir, and let sit for about 15-20 minutes, or until you have a nice set of froth on top.
Add the GF All Purpose Flour, tapioca starch, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder together in a bowl and whisk it until well combined. Set aside.
While the yeast is activating, add the egg whites to your mixer and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
Add 1 egg yolk and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
Add the butter and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
Reduce speed to low and add the yeast mixture to the mixer.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixer slowly while it is on low speed. You can add 1 cup at a time if that’s easier. Once you add all of it, allow to fully blend and then turn the mixer off. Scrape down the sides.
Place a piece of plastic wrap over the top and allow it to rise for 30 minutes.
Once it is risen, lay a piece of plastic wrap on your work space. You will probably need it about 2 feet long. Sprinkle the powdered sugar evenly. Spoon the dough evenly through the middle of the plastic wrap, leaving 4 inches on top and 4 inches on the bottom.
Lay another piece of plastic wrap on top and roll the dough evenly in all directions to be about 1/4 inch thick.
Cinnamon Roll Filling
Once the dough is rolled out, remove the plastic wrap on top and gently spread the butter all over the entire rolled out dough.
In a bowl, whisk together the sugars and cinnamon. Sprinkle it all over the top, covering the entire piece of the dough.
Creating the Roll.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a baking dish. I used coconut oil.
Gently fold over the bottom piece of dough and slightly pinch it so that it adheres slightly. This will be the middle of your cinnamon roll. Pull up the plastic wrap slowly and gently while pushing the dough forward to make it roll. Be careful and take your time. After each roll you can squeeze it a little to make sure that there are not any gaps between the dough. Continue to do this until you have formed your roll.
Once you have your roll, take a thin piece of string or thread and gently shimy it under the roll. Measure about an inch and with each hand holding one side of the thread, gently pull the thread up. This will slice the rolls nice and clean with ease. Continue to do that until you get about 6-8 rolls, depending on how you formed your roll.
Gently pick up each roll and place it in your baking dish. Bake them for 30-32 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when they are done.
Allow them to cool for about 15-20 minutes.
Cream Cheese Icing
With a mixer beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and sifted powdered sugar until it is smooth and fluffy.
Let the cinnamon rolls sit for 20 minutes and then add the icing and serve warm. Enjoy!
If you love this recipe then you will love my cookbook! Over 100 gluten and dairy free recipes that are practical and delicious. The e-book is available on Amazon too.