I love lemon. The smell and taste are one of my favorites. I had not baked with lemon until going gluten free, but I do enjoy lemon cake or a lemon loaf. In fact, I was not too adventurous in the kitchen until I went gluten free. There was always pre-made treats and food at the grocery store so I would just go to the bakery to pick up whatever sounded good. Without having that option now, I must experiment myself.
I had been craving lemon loaf for years and I knew it was a recipe I wanted to tackle this summer. Especially with working on the cook book and spring recipes, I knew it had to be in it. I cannot recall the flavor of the Starbucks lemon loaf, but I know a lot of people miss it, so my goal was to come up with something similar in flavor. My sister who eats gluten tried this loaf and the first thing she said was that it tasted just like the one from Starbucks. She in fact couldn’t stay out of it and between my husband, sister and I we ate the entire loaf in one day.
I had been craving the lemon loaf since I made it last week and was very ready for round two. I always have to make a recipe 2-3 times minimum to make sure it works out as it should before sharing with everyone. The second time around I attempted a thicker frosting so it was more comparable to the Starbucks version.
This post contains affiliate links. Living Freely makes a small percentage of any purchases made through these links. This income helps to pay the costs of running this page and creating delicious recipes. Thank you for your support.
This lemon loaf is made with very simple ingredients. In fact, everything in it can be found at WinCo. I use my Personal Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend in it and any vanilla non-dairy flavored yogurt will work.
It is moist and light with just the right amount of sweetness with a light and crisp lemon finish. This would be stunning at a brunch or as a gift to someone. It is perfect with an afternoon tea or just because you enjoy it.
Dash of Salt
2 tsp. Baking Powder
5.3 oz. of Dairy Free Yogurt (I used Silk vanilla almond yogurt)
3 TBSP. Lemon Zest
1 TBSP. Lemon Juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl whisk the dry ingredients together.
3. In a stand mixer on medium speed add the eggs, sugar, and yogurt. Beat for 2 minutes.
4. Add the coconut oil, beat 1 minute.
5. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract. Beat 1 minute.
6. Turn the speed to slow and add the flour mixture, beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
7. Scrape the sides and beat for 1 more minute
8. Pour into greased loaf pan (I use coconut oil).
9. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool completely before adding glaze to the top.
1 ⅓ Cups Powdered Sugar
2 TBSP. Lemon Juice
1. In a bowl whisk the sugar and lemon juice together until smooth.