Enchilada Sauce (Gluten Free, Corn Free)
This sauce is, E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!! When you smother your burritos, nachos, enchilada’s and bean dip with the sauce- you will be taken to another place, a place of deliciousness allergy free dreams. This sauce will transform your recipes.
For too many years I was using can enchilada sauce. I don’t think life really began until I started making my own sauce- life Changing is the correct term.
I also love to make homemade bean dip for gatherings and I smother my re-fried beans in this sauce and there is never a bite left.
This post contains affiliate links, because we all need to pay the bills.
This recipe is a double batch or just enough if you having a gathering and need to make a large tray of enchiladas.
I like to separate it into 2 portions. I use for dinner and I let the other one completely cool, then I freeze it in a freezer bag. It is so convenient to just pull out that bag of enchilada sauce, let it thaw and heat it to use on burritos or in a meal. It makes for a perfect and fast week night dinner.
If you make my Chicken Salsa and then have one of these pre-made, your dinner prep will take about 4 minutes. It will taste like you have been cooking all day though.
If you want to keep it vegan then simply use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
So do yourself a favor and make this sauce and freeze some because you will be happy you did!!
1/3 Cup plus 2 TBSP. Avocado Oil
2/3 Cup Tapioca Starch
2/3 Cup Chili Powder of your choice (this can really change the flavor, use one you love!)
¼ Cup Cumin
1 TBSP. Granulated Garlic
Salt and Pepper to Taste
6 Cups Broth (Chicken or Vegetable)
2 Cups Tomato Sauce
2 TBSP. Dried Oregano
- Heat your pan and add the oil.
- Sift in the tapioca starch, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir well and add the granulated garlic.
- You should start to form a paste, reduce heat to medium low and add the tomato sauce, stir vigorously.
- Add one cup of broth at a time and stir while pouring it in (4 Cups).
- Keep stirring and allow it to start to thicken and then add the other 2 cups (one cup at a time while continuing to stir).
- Taste it and add your salt and pepper at this point.
- Let it continue to cook another 5 or so minutes stirring every minutes.
- Turn off heat and add oregano and stir. Serve hot. Enjoy!